Con la tecnología de Blogger.

lunes, 5 de noviembre de 2012

The end of the world

I was watching a movie with my boyfriend last night about the end of the world  (In fact it is called Seeking a Friend for the End of the World). In this movie Steve Carrell and Kiera Knightley are doing exactly that, trying to find a friend for the end of the world and they realize that, even though they were neighbors they never had spoken to each other and were each other's one true love (or OTP as my tumblr friends would say).

Anyway, what really got to me about this movie was the ending... The world does end. No, that's not a spoiler and it's a surprise either (or shouldn't be) because it's the basis of the movie, really. It's right there in the title! And yet my mind is so codified to end of the world movies by Hollywood that I kept thinking they might survivie.... The protagonist always survives, damn it! But nope, this time the world really does end and everyone dies. It's a beautiful film with ups and downs, highs and lows but in the end it got me thinking about myself and my life and what would I truly regret if the world was about to end. Truth is I have been a goiod girl most of my life and I do not regret that. I don't regret not questioning authority, going to bed early (or late), doing my homeworkd, being on time for class, never skipping a class. I wouldn't regret not drinking or smoking or having one night stands (I'd be proud of these things. actually). Nor would I regret my Star Wars obsession or my need to know more about everything. Not dressing sexy? Wouldn't regret that either... I have a good relationship with my parents, both of them and my siblings and most of myu family. None of that would lay heavy on my mind (of course I'd love to spend more time with my family but wouldn't most of us). I fell in love, did silly things, went to the beach, had fun...

In fact, once I got to thinking on it, my life has been good and I've made sure of it. Damn good really. So what? What would be my one regret if say tomorrow was the end of the world (isn't that the theme for mostr sci-fi too?).

I could only find two:

1. I never saw snow.
2. I never published a book.

And truth be told these are relatively simple things, aren't they? I mean, seeing snow is easier than you'd think in South America and I could see it and I haven't. I've always wanted to see snow and yet here I am at 25 still trying to imagine what it's like. I will see snow, you'll see.

As for publishing a book... the more I think on it the more I realize that that is what I was born to do... Now it's time for me to accept it. Yes, it's scary and yes it's going to be hard and take a lot of work but today is the first day I am bringing my notebook with me and I will write ideas down as they come and hopefully sooner rather than later I will come to you with good news... I've been published and hey wouldn't you like to cross out something from your end of the world list?

Oh and yes, I was paranoid after watching that movie and I looked up the likelyhood of a meteor the size of the Dinosaur killer hitting us and was pleasently surprised =)

Take care and remember, nothing is for sure tomorrow, miht as well take the initiative to start today,

M.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario